President Zuma: I hope this report is wrong! Malema off the hook as Zuma makes U-turn — The Times
Dear President Jacob Zuma
If the report in today’s The Times is true, then our party and country will enter its most divisive time in history. Julius Malema and his business clique in the ANC are fascists. They have demonstrated disrespect to everyone including you as our party leader.
Just as Chief Rabbi Warren Goldstein tolerates the fascist threats of the South African Zionist Federation, when he should disown them, if this report is true, and, with respect to your office, you as our party’s most important post-apartheid President (faced with greater political, social and economic than former Presidents Mandela and Mbeki) are letting down progressive members of the ANC and the people of South Africa.
The Constitution commands that we uphold the rule of law not the rule of thugs. Julius Malema like Avrom Krengel and the AWB are thugs.
Thinking people must resist the trend towards violence and fascism across the spectrum of politics and as President of the ANC and our country, I believe you will have the support of every decent person to remove thugs from the ANC.
Zackie Achmat (ANC member since 1980)
See also two other blog pieces on Writing Rights — Julius Malema and the Roots of Fascism in South Africa (09 April 2010) and Of language and politics: The language of disrespect has descended from the highest levels of leadership (15 March 2010)
Malema off the hook as Zuma makes U-turn
April 20, 2010 12:05 AM | By SIPHO MASONDO
The ANC is set to drop all disciplinary charges against Julius Malema following a sudden change of heart by President Jacob Zuma.
According to ruling party insiders, Zuma and other top ANC leaders decided to withdraw the charges against Malema following a lengthy meeting with the youth league.
Although the meeting was initially supposed to be attended by all six ANC officials, treasurer-general Mathews Phosa did not pitch up while secretary-general Gwede Mantashe left early to attend one of his children’s graduation ceremony.
With only Zuma, deputy president Kgalema Motlanthe, deputy secretary-general Thandi Modise and national chairwoman Baleka Mbete representing the ANC, the youth league leadership had its way.
It is understood that the youth league argued that the ANC had no right to charge Malema as he spoke on behalf of the league and that if disciplinary action needed to be taken, it should be against the youth wing as a whole.
Modise is expected to make public the controversial decision at a press conference today.
Although the ANC and its youth wing were mum last night following the tense meeting, various sources close to the league said Malema had been let off the hook.
“To summarise everything for you,” said a senior youth league leader who did not want to be named, “Julius is very powerful”.
Another youth league leader, who also did not want to be named, said this morning’s announcement will still be subject to ratification by the ANC’s national executive committee which is to meet next month
Zuma and the ANC had initially pushed for disciplinary action against Malema following a number of embarrassing public pronouncements and actions.
The party last week served Malema with a charge sheet accusing him of:
Bringing the party into disrepute by endorsing Zimbabwea President Robert Mugabe’s Zanu-PF at a time when Zuma was trying to broker a deal in that country;
Allegedly claiming that Zuma was worse then former president Thabo Mbeki in his dealing with the youth league;
Commenting on the killing of AWB leader Eugene Terre Blanche after the ANC had ordered its members to refrain from doing so; and
Calling a BBC journalist a “bastard” and a “bloody agent”.
But The Times understands that while Motlanthe insisted that the disciplinary hearing – scheduled for early next month – should go ahead, Zuma caved in under Malema’s pressure.
Apparently Malema’s supporters pointed out that the youth league leader had gone to Zimbabwe with the president’s blessing and that he cannot, therefore, be charged for his actions.
The youth league also reportedly capitalised on the support it had given Zuma when he came under fire for fathering a child out of wedlock with soccer boss Irvin Khoza’s daughter.
An ANC staffer at Luthuli House told The Times last night that Malema will be exonerated.
Another youth leader said Malema’s victory was temporary as the NEC will make the final determination. – Additional reporting by Dominic Mahlangu
|Print article||This entry was posted by Zackie Achmat on 20/04/2010 at 05:29, and is filed under Uncategorized. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
No trackbacks yet.
about 3 days ago - 2 comments
Learners in Khayelitsha still remain without textbooks after more than half the school-year is over. Yoliswa Dwane’s press release below explains why Equal Education is considering taking the Western cape education department to Court. How efficient is the Western Cape DA government? Your views. Zackie Achmat Western Cape Scandal: No Textbooks for grade 12s after
about 3 days ago - 8 comments
A White critic of the vuvuzela writes: You know what vuvuzela stands for? Its the sound of the vacuum cleaner your african auntie is hearing each day all day long in her misserable [sic] job in Europe. After fleeing from vuvuzela sound through Sahara and Mediterenean [sic] Sea for 2 years. har har har har.
about 3 days ago - 1 comment
Ironically, the Soccer World Cup has highlighted the fact that access to justice is the scarcest commodity in our country. Every person in our country lives with a deep physical and psychological insecurity because of violent crime. The Mail and Guardian article below is an indictment of government and FIFA because it treats some “criminals”
about 1 week ago - 1 comment
Today is the 16 June 2010. I remember first of all Bernard Fortuin shot dead with Willem Lubbe in Halt Road Elsies River on 25 May 1980 during the revolt against apartheid in that year. A haunting picture of Bernard Fortuin’s inconsolable mother appeared in the Cape Times the next day. For me that picture
about 1 week ago - No comments
The South African Human Rights Commission has released its full report into the open toilets of Makhaza. Writing Rights will publish an analysis of the Makhaza Report later this week. The report is balanced, fair and its recommendations form the basis for a resolution of the issue. The City of Cape Town has the right
about 1 week ago - 2 comments
For years now a debate has raged whether Israel is a colonial state. Zev Jabotinsky was one of the leaders of the Zionist movement. Although disguised with liberal jargon about equality, his article The Iron Wall (see below) expresses sentiments that are colonial, militarist and racist. I believe that Jabotinsky’s article continues to form the
about 2 weeks ago - 4 comments
Premier Helen Zille’s argument about Black people “invading land” in the Western Cape is chilling. This argument reminds me of the way that the apartheid government looked at Black people and conducted forced removals. The Constitutional Court said this of the DA Cape Metro government in the Grootboom case. “18 May 1999, at the beginning
about 2 weeks ago - 3 comments
Today Health-e News Service and the Cape Times published a series of articles on toilets in Cape Town. Mayor Dan Plato refused to respond to questions. His spokesperson Rulleska Singh said he was exceptionally busy with the World Cup. The reports below by Anso Thom should encourage everyone to be an activist to ensure that
Breaking News: Letter from Anglican Archbishop Thabo Makgoba on Toilets to Plato, Zille, Shiceka and Sonjica
about 2 weeks ago - 2 comments
The Anglican Archbishop Thabo Makgoba calls on Western Cape government to implement the Human Rights Commission recommendations on the Makhaza Toilets and offers to mediate between the parties concerned. This is an opportunity for the City of Cape Town, the Western Cape government and the ANC to show leadership in a crisis. For background see
“Deeply moved and profoundly disturbing”: Why I left the “protest march” against apartheid Israel in Cape Town.
about 2 weeks ago - 8 comments
On 03 June 2010 between 5000 and 10000 people marched through the streets of Cape in protest against Israel. Our protest was against the unjustified killings on the Turkish ship the Marvi Marmara. I found the demonstration very moving and at the same time profoundly disturbing. For the first time in many years I marched